Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Google Analytics--Part 2: Adding GA Code to your Blog
If you do not have a Google Analytics account, see Part 1 of this series to get started!
If you are already using GA for your Etsy shop and want to get the same information for your blog, follow these simple steps.
1. Log in to GA and look below the website profiles section for a link titled "Add Website Profile"
2. Click the Add Website Profile link and fill in your blog URL and select time zone. (for "website profile type" at the top use the default setting of "new domain"). Click the "finish" button at the bottom of the page.
3. You will now be on a page displaying the tracking code for your new profile. Highlight the entire tracking code and copy as you will need to paste this in a moment.
4. Open your blog in a new tab or window and log in. In the Layout section of your blog find the link allowing HTML edits (see screenshot below for link location in Google Blogger)
5. Click the Edit HTML link and scroll to the very bottom of the existing code. Look for the following section of code:
6. Place your cursor just before the section of code, and paste in the section of code you copied from GA when setting up your profile.
7. Don't forget to save!
8. You're done! The report for your blog will show up in GA within 24 hours.
Did you find this helpful? Have additional advice for newbies to GA? Please leave a comment!